:: Re: [Dng] recommendation for consid…
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] recommendation for consideration: keep as close to debian as possible
On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 11:27:55AM -0430, Richard wrote:
> While this seems an admirable idea, it seems that Debian's change of
> direction is the reason we are here.
>
> A fork means that you take a different path. Inevitably those paths diverge
> --a fork.
>
> We have the benefit of where Debian was with Wheezy and Jessie. That is our
> resource. Devuan's goal I believe, is to create a distro similar to Debian
> without systemd. With one choice of DE, one init, essentially one of
> everything. You are free to add whatever you wish.
>
> Once a usable, stable systemdless Devuan is available, then attention might
> be turned to maintain and share those parts that are not tainted with
> systemd.
> Until then, I believe that Devuan resources are better spent on building a
> viable, usable, systemdless distro.

Wasn't the initial plan to have a Devuan repository that could be added
to the existing Debian repositories (but pinned to higher priority)
so we could focus on changing what needed changing, but not waste time
on replicating *everything*?

and leaving the question of whether to replicate *everything* to later,
if and when we discovere it to be necessary, and we may also have the
resources needed to do it?

Of course what needs to be done later likely depend on what Debian
does, but at the moment it does rather seem that the two are going to
diverge. Indeed, if many Debian users migrate to Devuan, the
remainder will probably be happy with systemd and thus Debian will
probably turn fully into a system-d-only distro.

-- hendrik