:: Re: [Dng] recommendation for consid…
Author: KatolaZ
To: Renaud OLGIATI
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] recommendation for consideration: keep as close to debian as possible
On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 12:46:42PM -0300, Renaud OLGIATI wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 15:40:33 +0000
> KatolaZ <katolaz@???> wrote:
>
> > Having said that, and besides the fact
> > that I don't understand what you mean by a "temporary fork" (a fork is
> > a fork, it happens at a point in time and unless you can travel back
> > in the past, a fork has to be *permanent* by definition), nobody can
> > decide now whether in the long run Devuan will drift apart from Debian
> > only a bit or substantually.
>
> Fork is permanent only as long as the two branches do not later converge and rejoin.

Yes, I know that, but have you ever seen anything similar happening in
the past? Have Mandrake or SuSe ever reconciled with RedHat? Will
Ubuntu or Mint or GnewSense ever merge again with Debian? Nope. I'm
sorry but merging does not in fact exists for distributions. It's
either live or die. And even if sometimes a distro might steal things
from the corpse of another failed distro, this has never represented a
usual habit and/or has brought any revolutionary jump ahead that I can
remember.

Consequently, IMHO, either Devuan and similar projects live and
flourish and bring new air and new energies to the community (as it is
happening right now with all the development of systemd and udev
replacements) or these efforts will be just useless in the long run.

> Who knows, maybe the Debian devs will realize they are missing something, and integrate the non-systemd in a later release...

Oh yes, it might be. But it is very unlikely, since in two years it
could basically mean maintaining two debians...

I am sorry but revolutions are not cheap, and every time you choose to
go for something then you have to give up on something else. I really
hope Debian will reconsider the systemd nonsense, but I suspect that
the probability for this event to occur is practically zero. Hence, I
must conclude that Debian and Devuan will most probably not merge any
time soon, and will most probably keep diverging instead, as it has
already appened with Mandrake, SuSe, Ubuntu, and as it happened for
Debian, back in the days, which effectively diverged from *nothing* :)

HND

KatolaZ

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]