:: Re: [Dng] John Goerzen asks, "Has m…
Góra strony
Autor: Usspookes Lovesystemd
Dla: Didier Kryn
CC: dng
Temat: Re: [Dng] John Goerzen asks, "Has modern Linux lost its way?"
Seconded!

--- kryn@??? wrote:

From: Didier Kryn <kryn@???>
To: dng@???
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 11:25:46 +0100

     Agreed, Martijn. I know others doing like you. This makes full sense.

     But there are also people, like me, who are fans of DIY, and have
fun assembling things to obtain a nice working Linux desktop (I also
install and manage servers). It takes some time, but it is (was?)
perfectly doable. I don't think people like me are the target of Gnome,
but I thought we were the target of Debian.

     It must be perfectly doable to have a linux desktop without systemd
and policykit, and also without dbus. I am sorry for the guy who gently
proposes to maintain dbus on devuan, but I would like if its
installation was optionnal, because I would like to see how it can work
without it. But, for a desktop, udev, eudev, or vdev is mandatory.

     I dislike dbus because I find it too complicated and do-it-all,
although I understand the motivation for it. Also, as far as I remember,
it is too much C++-minded. I have been programming in C from the
beginning of the 80's and loved it, but I think C++ is wrong by design
(personal thought), although I have no choice but to use programs
written in that language, as well as Perl, Python and Ruby, which I have
no opinion about.

     Same kind of dislike towards network-manager. This is the first
package I use to remove after installing Debian. The reason: I don't
know really what it does and how, but it goes in the middle of my way. I
am well off with ifplugd, wpa_supplicant and a roaming configuration of
wlan0.

     After its decision to force systemd in, Debian should rename itself
Debian-Gnome-Linux, and I hope Devuan will truely be Devuan-Gnu-Linux.
There's no harm in having several OS based on the same kernel. After
all, there's already Busybox-Linux, this is a fact; Busybox's not Gnu;
and similar projects.

     Didier