:: Re: [Dng] John Goerzen asks, "Has m…
Góra strony
Autor: Martijn Dekkers
Dla: Nate Bargmann
CC: Devuan project
Temat: Re: [Dng] John Goerzen asks, "Has modern Linux lost its way?"
Nice post, thanks!

My €0.02 - About the time that MS introduced "Software Assurance" (2002 or
so?) I headed up a team to develop an "Enterprise Linux Desktop", and we
had great success. Although we didn't manage to fully execute on our
mission (deploy to 10.000 workstations for organization I was working for)
our Proof of Concept was sufficiently slick, workable, and manageable that
a bunch of demo's to the MS commercial team that were playing hardball with
us resulted in increasingly worried faces in the room, and eventually,
deep, long term discounts. This was repeated a few times during the
following years for different organizations.

Linux worked, was actually easier to make work on a large scale over MS
software, and customizing, deploying and managing desktop systems was a
_breeze_

It goes without saying that Linux (KDE) was the only desktop environment I
used on all machines under my control.

About 5 to 6 years ago, I came to a point where I found that I was spending
more time making things work then actually using them, and a while later,
reluctantly, I switched my main desktop environment to Windows. I manage a
good number of servers, with the vast majority of them running Linux, but
desktops? Windows all the way. Gnome developed exactly along the path I
suspected it would which is why I avoided it - Miguel de Icaza being an
early incarnation of Lennart. (although I am very happy with the Midnight
Commander...), and although KDE is a lot more agreeable to my tastes, there
is simply too much tweaking and day to day little hassles - I have a job to
do, and my PC is the tool I need to do this job - it needs to Just Work(tm)

Whilst I am still utterly amazed with how awesome Linux servers are, I
don't think we will ever get there with desktops.