:: Re: [Bricolabs] Repair culture
Author: Felipe Fonseca
To: brico
Subject: Re: [Bricolabs] Repair culture
Hellekin,

On 02-02-2015 20:42, hellekin wrote:
> On the other hand, I'm not entirely convinced about recycling old
> electronics systematically. In many cases, energy efficiency improves
> with new iterations of technology. The main issue I see is the lack of
> interest in developing reusable components, upgradeable components,
> recyclable components, etc.

Energy efficiency is indeed a pressing issue, as well as portability. In
some contexts here in Brazil, you'll have organisations relying only on
locally generated energy - solar or whatever. Then, you'd better off
ditching the CRT screens and 500W CPUs. But in the middle ground, there
are today a lot of those so-called netbooks with up to six years old
that can be pretty useful. Our community radio here in Ubatuba uses one
of those to run a couple services. It is small, doesn't use much energy
(screen, wifi, bluetooth, X server are off) and has its own nobreak system.

> So, yes "repair culture" as a recycling movement, but also as a design
> movement to avoid built-in dependency on closed systems and
> uncontrollable processes. Technology needs to be taken control of
> before it hits the shelves, much earlier during the conception, and not
> only as a reaction.

Yeah. Actually I began writing the text after spending two weeks with
design students in Doha. We spoke a lot about the whole lifecycle of
industrial products (cradle to cradle etc.). But that's not yet explicit
in the text, I think I'll work on it a bit.

efe