:: Re: [Dng] What's new in Systemd
Author: Jude Nelson
To: Anthony G. Basile
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [Dng] What's new in Systemd
Hi Anthony,

Let me say that I hold you in high esteem and have the utmost respect for
you and your colleagues for your work on eudev, and keeping at it in the
face of community ire no less.

I would love to work more with you on creating a better independent device
manager. You might recall that I'm working on a from-scratch device
manager called vdev. I think there's room for collaboration, particularly
in maintaining a libudev compatibility layer decoupled from vdev and eudev
that would let both our projects diverge from systemd without breaking
applications. I haven't gotten very far on this particular effort yet, but
I'm going to pick up the pace later this week when I'll have some free time.

Regards,
Jude

PS I should point out that I'm trying to duplicate your effort. My
motivation for starting vdev from scratch was to create a portable device
manager (since I'd like one for my OpenBSD installs) that could let me
control access to /dev on a per-process basis. Both requirements are
sufficiently divergent from eudev's design that the effort required to
patch it would have been at least as great as starting over.

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 4:09 PM, Anthony G. Basile <basile@???