:: Re: [Dng] Boot loader?
Author: KatolaZ
To: Hendrik Boom, dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] Boot loader?
On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 09:48:37PM -0500, Hendrik Boom wrote:

[cut]

> Perhaps detailed instructions for doing this should be in the
> documentation for devuan -- somewhere where the home user is likely to
> see it.

IMHO, a home user does not necessarily need to know how to rescue from
a malfunctioning LILO conf, since he should not be able to stop LILO
from working by installing and upgrading packages (which are the
normal things a "home user" wpuld do). To be honest, a home user
wouldn't usually bother at all about which boot loader is used.

The best way of getting LILO stop working is by mangling kernel image
names (i.e., due to compilation/manual upgrade to another version) and
messing up disk partitions, that is something the "home user" does not
usually need to do. And if it does, then he is no more a "home user"
but a wannabe-experienced-user, and should learn the hard way how to
fix troubles he has caused (and by "the hard way" I mean experience
the pain of loosing data, trashing a working distribution, erasing by
mistake an entire disk, and similar funny stuff that increase your
awareness about the potential damage that ignorance can make...).

I believe that the way forward is simple: let's give standard,
rock-solid working environments to "home users", as that provided so
far by Debian & relatives, but leave the freedom to mess things up to
the people that know how to do that (or would like to learn it...).

My2Cents

KatolaZ

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]