:: Re: [Dng] Upgrade paths
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Franco Lanza
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: dng
Aihe: Re: [Dng] Upgrade paths
On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 11:05:04PM +0000, Noel Torres wrote:
> I've been thinking around the upgrade paths we need to provide for Devuan 1
> "Jessie without systemd" (I'd still like ancient site names or computing
> people names, so for me it is Devuan اَلْحَمْرَاء (put it on sources.list as Devuan
> Alhambra) or Devuan Aiken).

To let the upgrade path more easy and transparent, devuan 1 will be
called jessie.

From post devuan 1 release, we will choose our codenames...

> We must support users coming from Debian. That's why we are here. But which
> Debian?
>
> I think we should provide upgrade paths both for Jessie and for Wheezy.

yes, of course!

> Moving from Jessie to Aiken is not really an upgrade, and should be pretty
> straightforward if the computer used the provided means at Debian to not have
> systemd, and a bit harder, but not too much, if it is a Jessie with systemd
> and the work is to free it.
>
> Moving from Wheezy to Aiken is really an upgrade, but most of the work would
> have been done at Debian already, so it should not be so hard.

Moving from debian jessie to devuan jessie it's matter to execute a
script or manually install a package and then fix dependencies. it
should be fairly trivial, except for complex gnome based configs
probably.

Moving from debian wheezy to devuan jessie should be as easy as
dist-upgrade to debian jessie, except we will need to choose what to do
with complex gnome based installs.

In both case we will probably stick on systemd-shim for devuan jessie,
and then move on loginkit or something like that in future.

> Any other paths we should think about?

Only one another path should be officially supported: the install from
scratch using devuan installer

> Regards
> er Envite

Franco (nextime) Lanza
Lonate Pozzolo (VA) - Italy
SIP://casa@???
web: http://www.nexlab.net

NO TCPA: http://www.no1984.org
you can download my public key at:
http://danex.nexlab.it/nextime.asc || Key Servers
Key ID = D6132D50
Key fingerprint = 66ED 5211 9D59 DA53 1DF7 4189 DFED F580 D613 2D50
echo 16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D212153574F444E49572045535520454D20454B414D204F54204847554F4E452059415020544F4E4E4143205345544147204C4C4942snlbxq | dc