:: Re: [Dng] Upgrade paths
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Steve Litt
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: dng
Aihe: Re: [Dng] Upgrade paths
On Wed, 21 Jan 2015 23:05:04 +0000
Noel Torres <envite@???> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I've been thinking around the upgrade paths we need to provide for
> Devuan 1 "Jessie without systemd" (I'd still like ancient site names
> or computing people names, so for me it is Devuan اَلْحَمْرَاء (put
> it on sources.list as Devuan Alhambra) or Devuan Aiken).
>
> We must support users coming from Debian. That's why we are here. But
> which Debian?
>
> I think we should provide upgrade paths both for Jessie and for
> Wheezy.

That makes sense to me!

> Moving from Jessie to Aiken is not really an upgrade, and should be
> pretty straightforward if the computer used the provided means at
> Debian to not have systemd, and a bit harder, but not too much, if it
> is a Jessie with systemd and the work is to free it.
>
> Moving from Wheezy to Aiken is really an upgrade, but most of the
> work would have been done at Debian already, so it should not be so
> hard.
>
> Any other paths we should think about?

Yes. Very good docs on how to do a from-scratch install of Devuan
Aiken. This will help people coming from Mint, Ubuntu, Fedora, the
various Mandrake descendants, and the like.

For instance, tell them what current information they have to save, how
to derive it (the mount command, lshw, lsmod, etc), where to save it,
what to do with it when they get to Devuan.

SteveT