:: Re: [Dng] Packaging system
Author: Clarke Sideroad
To: dng
New-Topics: Re: [DNG] [Dng] Packaging system
Subject: Re: [Dng] Packaging system
On 01/01/15 15:37, t.j.duchene@??? wrote:
> I just wanted to post this for consideration. I’m not looking to
> rehash old posts, but Devuan is at the moment finding its legs. I feel
> that this is a valid concern that may arise in Devuan’s future. I
> think it should be discussed openly.
>
> http://threatpost.com/debian-announces-end-of-security-support-for-iceape/103203
>
> Assuming that we follow upstream Debian “en masse”, do we have the
> resources to for vetting every upstream package that Debian provides
> or are we going to simply take them on faith and try to keep sync with
> Debian’s patches?
>
> I’ve often advocated the idea that Devuan should focus on a “core” and
> leave the rest of Debian to interested parties willing to maintain
> it. Regardless of the outcome of that discussion, the update and
> security model should be visited at some point.

I see your point with the need to prioritize core items, in fact on a
rather larger, more established scale that is what Debian is doing in
this case.

I don't think Devuan should fork any more than has to be forked to
remain systemd free for now or into the immediate (Stretch/sid) future.
If at some point that requires support or replacement of software
abandoned by Debian, that is what it will take.

Most of us were happy to accept the wisdom of Debian or work around it
as benefactors/users for a number of years, to me Devuan is pretty much
an ultimate extension of that now that something is poettentially
rotting the heart of the Debian distro.

I guess what I'm trying to say is things get worked around and that is
what I feel is happening at the heart of Devuan development even if this
mailing list reflects a larger more abstract vision.

Maybe in the future Devuan will eat Debian or the other way around, who
knows.

Talking of work arounds, if I was faced with a single soul who needed
IceApe on a machine, I would give them the still updated SeaMonkey,
stuffed in their userspace.

One thing is for sure, this is all being well documented so future
generations can look upon these happenings and see a ground breaking
rift created to maintain the flexibility of the GNU/Linux operating
system. I'm thinking that, rather than the parallel of a bunch of old
Netscape Navigator users worrying about their rebadged, handy,
meta-package. History is live streamed these days, so time will tell.

Don't take the above analysis too seriously and stick in smiley's (-: as
may seem appropriate.

--
Clarke