:: Re: [Dng] What to do with udev? Som…
Author: Walter Dnes
To: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] What to do with udev? Some ideas...
On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 03:03:50PM +0100, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult wrote
> On 31.12.2014 10:59, Jude Nelson wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > However, future entanglements with systemd and kdbus could make this
> > much harder, to the point that eudev has no choice but to diverge
> > from udev, thereby increasing the maintenance burden considerably.
>
> yeah, sooner or later there'll need to do a full fork.
> we should get in contact with them (I just posted a first mail onto
> their maillist).

Hi; I read that post. Has anyone here considered "mdev" from the
busybox package? I'm not a C/C++ programmer, just a Gentoo user,
but I've been able to replace udev with mdev on my home machines. I was
the ****-disturber who started up the wiki page...
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev

I've also managed to enable automounting of USB devices using an ash
script (I did say I'm not a C/C++ programmer). *GUI NOT REQUIRED* See
the wiki pages...
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev/Automount_USB
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev/Automount_USB/automount
Part of the reason for the "um" script is to allow a regular user to
unmount a USB key or drive, without constantly running as root, and
"giving away the store", security wise.

/etc/mdev.conf supports executing commands after-creating and
before-removing a device, analagous to "writing udev rules", but
different format. busybox is actively maintained at
http://www.busybox.net/ so it should be around permanently.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@???>