:: Re: [Dng] What to do with udev? Som…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Jude Nelson
À: Martinx - ジェームズ
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Sujet: Re: [Dng] What to do with udev? Some ideas...
Hi Thiago,

I'm glad to be here :) I'm grateful for the community's feedback on vdev!

Regarding the path to take, I think going with (2) for now while keeping
option (1) on the table is probably the best strategy. Unlike vdev, eudev
is ready to go today, and already serves as a drop-in replacement for udev.

Why have option (1) at all? The reason is that I don't know what the
systemd developers have planned for udev, but it is clear that at any given
moment they could intractably entangle udev, systemd, and kdbus, and make
life a lot harder for eudev as an unintended side-effect. Lennart has
warned as much, to be fair, but as far as I know there is no timetable and
no ETA for when this entangling will happen (it could be tomorrow, for
example). This concerns me because it is my understanding that eudev is a
"shadow fork" of udev--that is, eudev is as successful as it is in part
because the developers can merge most new features from upstream udev with
little effort, freeing them to focus on doing the legwork to ensure that
eudev builds separately from systemd. However, future entanglements with
systemd and kdbus could make this much harder, to the point that eudev has
no choice but to diverge from udev, thereby increasing the maintenance
burden considerably. This precarious situation is one motivating factor in
my creating vdev--we must have a drop-in replacement for udev beyond the
influence of the systemd developers that's ready to go in case maintaining
eudev suddenly becomes intractable.

The bigger motivating factor in vdev, however, is that like you I see that
systemd offers a lot of compelling features that I would love to have, but
only if having them does not introduce unpalatable OS designs. One
important feature--the feature vdev addresses--is providing a way for
unprivileged programs to access privileged files, such as device nodes,
according to higher-level policies. While I think this is a wonderful
feature since it facilitates multi-seat and lets programs like X and
Wayland run without privileges, systemd's logind solution requires programs
to depend on its dbus interface (leading to undesirable tight coupling).
By contrast, vdev's strategy is to equivocate about device nodes via the
filesystem, so programs benefit without having to be aware that they are
interacting with vdev at all.

Another useful feature to me is reliable service state tracking. While I'm
happy that systemd addresses this problem, I'm not happy that I have to
effectively cede control of cgroups to systemd to do so, and couple any
future cgroup interactions to systemd's dbus API. I have a partial
solution to this, though--I've written a filesystem called runfs [1] that
has the property that once a process dies, runfs automatically unlinks all
of the files it created in it. This way, I can start a daemon and have it
write a PID file to runfs, and then I can check to see if the daemon is
still running simply by stat'ing the PID file (it will not be present if
the daemon has died). It does not need to use cgroups to work, and
programs can benefit from runfs without knowing that they're using it :)

I don't have a strong opinion on consoled/kmscons as long as the in-kernel
VT remains as a viable option for things like early boot debugging, or
handling unforeseen corner cases that stop the userspace console daemon
from starting. I think it's a welcome addition, but I don't want it badly
enough that I'm willing to replace a good chunk of my userspace to get it.

Best,
Jude

[1] https://github.com/jcnelson/runfs