:: Re: [Dng] What to do with udev? Som…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Martinx - ジェームズ
À: Jude Nelson
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Sujet: Re: [Dng] What to do with udev? Some ideas...
Hi Jude,

One thing that matters most (for me), is that you're here, working on this,
with Devuan team. This is very important!

Also, when talking about eudev, we have this:

q: plans when udev becomes systemd-only ? (after kdbus merge):

https://github.com/gentoo/eudev/issues/95

I can see why ("the reasons / motivation") the distros all over the globe,
are being forced to use systemd / dbus (on servers!!), and udev is one of
those (biggest) reasons... Otherwise, if we have a high quality udev
replacement, then, who cares about systemd? With a drop-in replacement for
udev, we can easily kick systemd! I know that there are that logind thing,
the gnome drama and etc but, first things first. :-P

>From what I'm seeing, eudev might hit a dead-end, sooner or later, making

it harder and harder to build a systemd-free Linux distro. I mean, when
system-udev enforces systemd=PID1, then, sysvinit-core|upstart will be
dead. Right?!

Unless, eudev start walking on its own path (Feasible? Viable?)...

So, vdev (and the proposed alternatives, including plain static /dev),
seems the way to go in the long run, for a systemd-free Linux distribution.

The question that remains: which path is a "way to go"?!

1- build a new "udev", lets say, vdev? or;

2- stick with eudev and, "after kdbus got merged" (when systemd-udev
becomes useless without systemd = PID1), eudev will follow its own path,
forever...

If we stick with "2", then, I think that it worth putting huge efforts into
eudev, to make it a high quality piece of software. Including a big
crowdfunding campaign everywhere! Of course, if desirable.

Nevertheless, I'm must confess, I'm still divided... All of this work,
isn't a waste of time and effort? I mean, systemd seems to be making the
life easier for a lot of projects! Even Enlightenment devs (I'm there on
e-devel list) are talking about the huge benefits of systemd, that it will
make E-Development easier, for example, when using it with Wayland/DRM,
also, `enlightenment_start` binary will not be required anymore (when with
systemd), less code for E team to maintain, and etc...     :-)        :-/
    :-)       +_+

So, are we going to succeed (yes, we can do this)? Or this is a waste? Lets
not lie to ourselves... I know we can build a systemd-free distro, I know
that... But, honestly, I like the ideas behind systemd (new VT code
(consoled), native multiseat support, CGroup Process that can not "scape"
systemd) but, its implementation / architecture creeps the heel outta me!
Also, the attitudes of systemd developers makes me sick. They have no
"social skills" and a terrible bug handling. And I don't like to be forced
to use this, or that. Choice is always important, but too many choices are
also a bad thing.

Cheers!
Thiago