:: Re: [Dng] Gnome
Author: Go Linux
To: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] Gnome
On Sun, 12/28/14, Jaromil <jaromil@???> wrote:

To: dng@???
Date: Sunday, December 28, 2014, 5:49 PM

[snip]

> Let me remind you that DE does not mean just casual consumer grade use
> of a desktop, but also professional use, as in case of multimedia
> production. There are many issues that Devuan can also fix there,
> starting from the FFMpeg removal from Debian...

I am a desktop user with several stand alone boxes. I once set up an nfs but really had no need for it so didn't maintain. I do all my web development (which isn't much these days) with xampp. I do a lot of multimedia, not as a profession but as a serious hobby. As long as alsa (no PA needed here), audacity, avidemux, dvdstyler, vlc etc. work, I'll be happy. Note that dvdstyler was available in squeeze but not in wheezy. Thankfully Steve Pusser over at MEPIS built a compatible .deb - it's in their community repos. I'm hoping he might do the same for Devuan if needed. I'm guessing that mplayer, totem etc. are a no-go because of systemd deps?

How about a server/desktop poll on the without-systemd wiki?

golinux