:: [Dng] CNC
Página Principal
Autor: Gordon Haverland
Para: dng
Tópicos Novos: Re: [Dng] CNC (ot: one more on keyring and AFK presence)
Assunto: [Dng] CNC
A while ago, I started trying to get a chroot Debian environment set up
on Gentoo, and ran into troubles. Hopefully I can get back to trying
to set up some environment soon, my next guess was a Debian VM based on
QEMU. I really don't want to base a VM on quasi commercial or fully
commercial stuff, if it is possible to do so without them.

But, that isn't the topic. A while ago, I said I would help with
rebuilding perl packages. Today, the keyring topic came up. I haven't
had money to travel for quite a while, and I don't anticipate that
changing any time soon. Some of us with autism are orthogonal to the
hiring process, and I am likely in the process of trying to start a
business starting in early summer 2015. If the only people you want
building packages need to at some point need to travel to swap keys, I
am limited to where I can drive to from NW Alberta.

Part of what I need to set up soonish, is CNC abilities. LinuxCNC
exists, although the preferred platform is a LTS *buntu. I want to
work with amd64 CPUs, and it looks like having Arduino or BeagleBoard
microcontrollers is the cheap way to interface EMC2/LinuxCNC to
hardware. From how I interpret my readings, a person wants more than 2
cores on any computer used for CNC using Linux (1 for the OS, 1 for a
cpu hog that does nothing, and 1 or more for doing applications). And
among the readings was a project out of Virginia Tech called ChronoOS.
It seems to have stalled, but they had looked at 16 and 48 core
real-time scheduling.

I haven't looked at any of the code for ChronOS, but instead of using
the soft real-time patch that *buntu uses (and most people, and I am
not sure it is the soft patch), the VirginiaTech group did use the hard
real-time preempt patch.

In any event, I may be able to come up with a Devuan to the two
different real-time CNC worlds. Something to do when I get tired of
trying to electronics again. Plumbing is sooo much easier to solder.

Gord