:: Re: [Dng] TPM
Author: Dr. Nikolaus Klepp
To: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] TPM
Am Dienstag, 23. Dezember 2014 schrieb Joe Awni:
> [...]
> Although i stated in my previous message that i did not want to explain.
> However, i see that w/o my explanation the insanity of a fun house of
> mirrors plus an echo chamber would prevail. (you know how it is: `DRM bad ∴
> TPM bad`) Therefor, i will give a (very) little info.
>
> The TPM is cryptographic co-processor.

That's one of the more obviouse problems of TPM: broken hardware cryptography, impossible to fix if you you are blind enough to trust it.

The next point is that the functionality is not open documented and you cannot use it for your own purpose in a trusted way. Again it's hardware with built in flaws/backdoors.

The next point is it's implementation in hardware: I've seen TPM realised as a part of the ethernet subsystem. You get free access to hack TPM from the internet, how cool is that?

Well, the list goes on and on. Short said: If you trust TPM, you probably should better stay away from security.

Nik