:: Re: [Dng] A devuan "constitution"
Pàgina inicial
Autor: T.J. Duchene
A: 'Aldemir Akpinar', dng
Assumpte: Re: [Dng] A devuan "constitution"

Aldemir wrote:

Ø Everyone's talking about video cards, hence desktop environments, but don't forget that systemd is a worse nightmare for server environments. I won't go into detail but, I'm sure everyone is aware why.

Ø In the corporate world you got HBA cards, hw encryption cards, 100GB Ethernets etc. etc. You can always extend this list. And in this list 90% of the items will need a firmware to work. And if devuan doesn't provide the needed firmware (doesn't need to be by default installation), it will not have a place in such environments, and please forgive me for saying this, but it will not be taken seriously.

Ø I want devuan to be installed in my company's servers and for that, unfortunately, I need those firmwares to be provided by the distribution.

All true. It’s not that anyone is overlooking or ignoring them. You make excellent points. All I suggested by picking wireless, video and audio is that those are the majority of PERSONAL use cases, and thus likely to have the most weight among Linux users who aren’t corporate sysadmins.