:: Re: [Dng] A devuan "constitution"
Author: neismark@gmx.de
To: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] A devuan "constitution"
Hi Stephan,

Stephan Seitz wrote (Sat, 6 Dec 2014 23:48:48 +0100):
> Interestingly the kernel source will provide you with this firmware.
> If you get the kernel source and compile your own kernel you will
> have the necessary firmware on your system.

Yep.

> This leads to the question if firmware should be in non-free.

This is a question of philosophy which - as you can see in this thread
- is heavily debated. I think we agree: A system/distro for which
firmware wasn't easily available would remain without significance.

Maybe a non-free branch of the repository might be a solution?

> And this is important if you see that the Suse Server (for example)
> doesn’t have a problem providing you with firmware.

Unfortunately this was one of the decisive criteria my employer decided
to use SuSE instead of Debian.

I'd rather stick with a Devuan that actually can be used in a
professional environment; I think we agree here.

Regards,
Mark

~~
Twitter: einfachnurmark
Jabber: neismark@???

--
Der wichtigste Rohstoff auf unserem Planeten ist ganz eindeutig Wasser
Womit sollte ich sonst meinen Kaffee kochen!?