著者: Clarke Sideroad
To: dng
題目: Re: [Dng] Lennart says Devuan is going nowhere and will fail, decrys anonymity
Maybe I am over-thinking it, but I think not.
Perhaps it is merely a battle of hipsters vs. fanbois at each distro.

There really is an agenda, there has to be, although you may see it
marketed as a vision.
It does have the signs of being an ego thing with some parties.

There is a horrendous waste of effort on both sides that much is for sure.
I think this waste happened as soon a systemd became more than a new
init and started replacing and encapsulating perfectly good services and
limiting choice of approach.

My memories date back to the XFree/Xorg battle too, and I see rough
parallels when it comes to the level of polarity and projected
hostility, but the issue itself IMHO is vastly different.

systemd is grabbing the very roots of the OS and sneaking into
everything it possibly can from basic networking and device functioning
to desktop environment dependencies.

Some look upon it as a cancer, I look upon it as PulseAudio for the
entire OS.
Like PulseAudio there is nothing wrong with it if your needs match the
vision of the development team and IME it finally works well enough
these days for most installs.
With PulseAudio I can remove it and put in alternate audio applications
to better address the particular needs and the only screw up is the loss
of Skype (a big deal for some) which is currently bound to PA only.
I see the Poettering systemd vision as it spreads out from init as a
whole lot worse with its tied in services and lock-ins as app
development or at least available binaries become solely dependent on
systemd and its tree of services.

Forking the Kernel as a way to avoid this creeping Poetterama? I think
you forgot the winking smiley.

Clarke