:: Re: [Dng] Release Names
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Noel Torres
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: dng
Aihe: Re: [Dng] Release Names
On Monday, 8 de December de 2014 14:31:18 hellekin escribió:
> Although I appreciate computer inventors, I have two objections:
>
> 1. it's an almost all white-male crowd, with very few exceptions, and
> that alone conflicts with the reality of human diversity and the goal to
> promote diversity of choice. Choosing a technical elite to name Devuan
> releases would amount to support a colonialist vision, IMO.

They're not just "a white male technical elite". They're the History of whant
made Devuan itself possible. That it was invented by the occidental male-
dominated culture is History. That is what happened. I hope things will be
different in the future, but please do not try to change History.

> 2. it puts the technical elite on a pedestal, which suggests computer
> users are less important than the creators of technology. But
> technology, as much as it is created in the lab, is far from neutral and
> must be appropriated by its users, or will end up controlling them.

There would be no computer users without computers. We will not even be
discussing this without most of them.

> For the same reasons, I'm less favorable to remote objects (e.g. stars)
> than terrestrial manifestations that can be recognized across cultures.

I agree that intercultural references would be the best. People that created
the systems that people from all cultures use today is the best option I've
been able to think about.

Regards

Noel
er Envite