:: Re: [Dng] contrib/non-free/antisoci…
Author: hellekin
To: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] contrib/non-free/antisocial/community/unsupported sections
On 12/06/2014 06:04 PM, Hendrik Boom wrote:

>> 1. Follow Debian in offering "main", "contrib", and "non-free"
>> repositories; I assume that we would adopt Debian's position that
>> everything outside main is "not part of the OS but offered as a
>> convenience to users" if we do this.
>>
>> 1.(a) As in 1, but rename "non-free" to "antisocial".
>>
>> 2. Drop contrib and non-free entirely.
>>
>> 3. Merge contrib, non-free, and software packaged by users into one
>> repo known as "community".
>>
>> 3.(a) As in 3, but name the new repo "unsupported".
>
> I recently proposed another one:
>
> 4. Keep contrib and nonfree as they are, but add a new one,
> 'antisocial' to contain systemd and all its dependents.
> We take things out of 'antisocial' as we are able to remove their
> dependencies. If we don't want to sound so negative, we could call it
> 'systemd' instead.

*** 5. keep all Debian repositories as they are, but make non-free not
available by default, in the same manner of experimental and backports,
which is my preferred option, although I had to laugh at reading Hendrik's.

*

1(a) was simply a response to 3, which I am obviously opposed to, and I
repeat: the only relationship of non-free to the community is that it's
anti-social. It's neither a real option, nor an interesting one.

3(a) has no more ground than 3: there's no compelling reason to merge
contrib and non-free except if you want to confuse people.

==
hk

--
 _ _     We are free to share code and we code to share freedom
(_X_)yne Foundation, Free Culture Foundry * https://www.dyne.org/donate/