:: Re: [Dng] GTK
Author: T.J. Duchene
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] GTK
To my knowledge, the maintenance and development of GTK was turned over to
the Gnome Project years ago, and GTK has more or less followed Gnome's
vision of what it should be. It might as well be called the "Gnome
Toolkit" now. I no longer care to use it for anything. Version 3 is
completely incompatible with 2.x, and some programmers feel that the future
direction of GTK along with Gnome itself has left the platform buggy,
bloated and slow.

Qt for example, offers a better platforms list and far more liberal
licensing.

The killer reason NOT to use GTK is because other toolkits can use native
appearances/behaviours so that apps fit in with whatever environment that
you happen to be using: Windows, Qt, or GTK/Gnome. I'd rather use wxWidgets
before I ever consider using GTK again. Even Google dropped it, and no
longer uses it in Chrome.