:: Re: [Dng] How to start working?
Author: Miles Fidelman
To: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] How to start working?
Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 16:40:03 +0000,
> Noel Torres <envite@???> wrote:
>
>> But how to start really working on Devuan?
> We'll need an installer. I think at this point in history it is enough
> to focus on a USB key image. Any other opinions?

I kind of think this sums it up - at least for a server-side distro:
http://blog.steve.org.uk/how_could_you_rationally_fork_debian_.html
--- excerpt ----

So if you were going to split the Debian project into "supported" and
"unsupported" what would you use as the dividing line? I think the only
sensible approach would be :

* Base + Server stuff.
* The rest.

On that basis you'd immediately drop the support burden of GNOME, KDE,
Firefox, Xine, etc. All the big, complex, and user-friendly stuff would
just get thrown away. What you'd end up with would be a Debian-Server
fork, or derivative.

Things you'd package and care about would include:

* The base system.
* The kernel.
* SSHD.
* Apache / Nginx / thttpd / lighttpd / etc
* PHP / Perl / Ruby / Python / etc
* Jabberd / ircd / rsync / etc
* MySQL / PostGres / Redis / MariadB / etc.

Before that, some basic infrastructure (repo, build system, test
system), basic technical policy/architecture (how the pieces fit
together), basic organization (who, what, when, where, why, how, how
much, who cares).

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra