:: Re: [Dng] Fwd: Re: eudev (Was: us…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Isaac Dunham
A: Ruben Safir
Cc: dng
Asunto: Re: [Dng] Fwd: Re: eudev (Was: useful blog post)
On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 02:50:08AM -0500, Ruben Safir wrote:

> > Fair enough, I was mislead by the "default" and missed altogether the
> > "replaced" that followed it. In that case, the only thing that should be
> > sorted out is ABI compatibility: if that holds, it's just a matter of
> > producing a set of udev packages with the same names as those produced
> > by systemd. devuan-baseconf then would take care of giving them a higher
> > priority over those of the main Debian archive, thus effectively
> > replacing systemd-udev with eudev.

> > > That is going to be the theme of the next 5 years if you are serious
> > > about a real fork.
> >
> > I hope that eudev will be the theme of the next few _weeks_, not years.
> >

> Unfortunately, as more packages get more and more intertwined with an
> ever changing systemd, this will likely remain a problem that will need
> to be solved over and over again. No need to port all of gnome, but
> there was a lot of packages that will change. I don't know how the BSD
> guys are gonna do it. How does webos handle wifi? Wifi might be the
> first rubber hits road obstacle.

Wifi is a trivial concern: everything but iw and iwtools uses wpa_supplicant.
And that can be configured however you want; Debian uses dbus (not yet
systemd), but it's possible to build it without systemd or dbus
(I've done so.) It can't become locked in, because it's intended to
work on every OS (Linux, BSD, OS X, and Windows NT already supported).

On top of it, there's network mangler, connman, wicd, wifi-radar, wpagui,
network-config, netscript, and something built into Sugar.

Thanks to the freeze, there shouldn't be an increase in systemd hard depends
between now and Jessie becoming stable. Also any use of libudev won't
grow a new abi dependency if the rules are followed.

Thanks,
Isaac Dunham