:: Re: [unSYSTEM] Chuck Schumer: More …
Author: Kyle Torpey
To: unsystem
Subject: Re: [unSYSTEM] Chuck Schumer: More funding to fight the "dark markets"
Just wrote a piece about this for Inside Bitcoins. The last paragraph
is hilarious because it reads like an advertisement for darknet
marketplaces. Not yet published, but here are two points:

1. The basic point of Schumer’s press release seems to be support for
increased funding for the War on Drugs. Much like Ronald Reagan’s
public remarks on crack cocaine from the 1980s, there are portions of
the press release that almost seem like an advertisement for darknet
marketplaces. If a drug user or dealer had not heard about darknet
marketplaces in the past, they would undoubtedly become interested in
them after reading the following paragraph:

“Visitors to these websites can purchase an array of illegal drugs
including cocaine, heroin, marijuana, methamphetamines and
prescription narcotics, in various quantities. Users post the product
and the quantity they are selling and buyers can then do comparison
shopping. In addition to drugs, visitors to the site can purchase
illegal firearms. The websites even allows user to rate the level of
service they receive from drug dealers.”

2. A copy of Narcotics Anonymous’s “Basic Text” from 1981 included the
statement, “Insanity is repeating the same mistakes and expecting
different results.” It seems that Senator Schumer is following the
same logical fallacies as an insane drug addict.

- -@kyletorpey <http://twitter.com/kyletorpey>