:: [Libbitcoin] forwarding IRC roadmap…
Author: Eric Voskuil
To: libbitcoin
Subject: [Libbitcoin] forwarding IRC roadmap comments
<genjix> evoskuil, what's the plan for libbitcoin-server? are we using
this repo?...

<veox> evoskuil: adding to genjix' question, I think it would be nice to
have a version tag prior to new blockchain db.

<evoskuil> libbitcoin-server is currently inactive, but it should be
come active very soon
<evoskuil> pmienk and I are planning to build up a server based on
obelisk but serving up the new protocol
<evoskuil> the plan of record is to upgrade obelisk with updated
blockchain and at the same time merge libbitcoin develop to master
<evoskuil> development on libbitcoin-server would then run independently
of obelisk, with the objective of producing a server that can deploy
side-by-side with obelisk
<evoskuil> this was the conclusion of the most recent conversion on the
question of deploying the libbitcoin-protocol/libbitcoin-client in a
server while maintaining obelisk support in the interim
<evoskuil> the current libbitcoin-client supports both the obelisk
protocol and the libbitcoin-protocol
<evoskuil> bx has a dependency only on libbitcoin-client/protocol and
doesn't use obelisk client
<evoskuil> when libbitcoin-server becomes available it is my expectation
that bx will support both obelisk and libbitcoin-server, using distinct
URL configuration
<evoskuil> of course any breaking change in any of the libraries should
be accompanied by a version increment and dependencies updated accordingly
<evoskuil> I would expect that the new blockchain integration would
coincide with major version bump for obelisk and the merge of libbitcoin
develop would cause the same for libbitcoin

The above-referenced conversation, originally raised by Willaim, is here:
https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/20140830.015144.2ddaad89.en.html

In that the objective of the side-by-side solution was around supporting
the current obelisk protocol while introducing the libbitcoin-protocol.
However in my summary in that conversation I included the "blockchain
rewrite" as a libbitcoin-server component. That's really not appropriate
given that the blockchain update (as I undertand it) is supporting the
current obelisk protocol (with some minor updates).