:: Re: [unSYSTEM] Geolibertarians and …
Kezdőlap
Szerző: Andy de Cleyre
Dátum:
Címzett: System undo crew
Tárgy: Re: [unSYSTEM] Geolibertarians and Land Value Tax to replace all other forms of unjust taxation
For what it's worth, Voltairine de Cleyre took a moment to consider (but
ultimately dismiss) geolibertarianism in Why I Am an Anarchist. There's
definitely a lot more room for variation on and exploration into the
general proposal than she allows it in this context, but I'm including the
relevant excerpt:

'''
Another school of land reformers presented itself; an ingenious affair, by
which property in land is to be preserved in name, and abolished in
reality. It is based on the theory of economic rent; — not the ordinary,
everyday rent we are all uncomfortably conscious of, once a month or so,
but a rent arising from the diverse nature of localities. Starting with the
proposition that land values are created by the community, not by the
individual, the logic goes as follows. The advantages created by all must
not be monopolized by one; but as one certain spot can be devoted to one
use only at a given time, then the person or business thereon located
should pay to the State the difference between what he can get out of a
good locality and a poor locality, the amount to be expended in public
improvements. This plan of taxation, it was claimed, would compel
speculators in land either to allow their idle lands to fall into the hands
of the State, which would then be put up at public auction and knocked down
to the highest bidder, or they would fall to and improve them, which would
mean employment to the idle, enlivening of the market, stimulation of
trade, etc. Out of much discussion among themselves, it resulted that they
were convinced that the great unoccupied agricultural lands would become
comparatively free, the scramble coming in over the rental of mines,
water-powers, and — above all — corner lots in cities.

I did some considerable thinking over this proposition, and came to the
conclusion it wouldn’t do. First, because it did not offer any chance to
the man who could actually bid nothing for the land, which was the very man
I was after helping. Second, because the theory of economic rent itself
seemed to me full of holes; for, while it is undeniable that some locations
are superior to others for one purpose or another, still the discovery of
the superiority of that location has generally been due to an individual.
The location unfit for a brickyard may be very suitable for a celery
plantation; but it takes the man with the discerning eye to see it;
therefore this economic rent appeared to me to be a very fluctuating
affair, dependent quite as much on the individual as on the presence of the
community; and for a fluctuating thing of that sort it appeared quite plain
that the community would lose more by maintaining all the officials and
offices of a State to collect it, than it would to let the economic rent
go. Third, this public disposing of the land was still in the hands of
officials, and I failed to understand why officials would be any less apt
to favor their friends and cheat the general public then than now.

Lastly and mostly, the consideration of the statement that those who
possessed large landholdings would be compelled to relinquish or improve
them; and that this improvement would stimulate business and give
employment to the idle, brought me to the realization that the land
question could never be settled by itself; that it involved the settling of
the problem of how the man who did not work directly upon the earth, but
who transformed the raw material into the manufactured product, should get
the fruit of his toil. There was nothing in this Single Tax arrangement for
him but the same old program of selling himself to an employer. This was to
be the relief afforded to the fellow who had no money to bid for the land.
New factories would open, men would be in demand, wages would rise!
Beautiful program. But the stubborn fact always came up that no man would
employ another to work for him unless he could get more for his product
than he had to pay for it, and that being the case, the inevitable course
of exchange and re-exchange would be that the man *having received less
than the full amount*, could buy back less than the full amount, so that
eventually the unsold products must again accumulate in the capitalist’s
hands; again the period of non-employment arrives, and my landless worker
is no better off than he was before the Single Tax went into operation. I
perceived, therefore, that some settlement of the whole labor question was
needed which would not split up the people again into land possessors and
employed wage-earners. Furthermore, my soul was infinitely sickened by the
everlasting discussion about the rent of the corner lot. I conceived that
the reason there was such a scramble over the corner lot was because the
people were jammed together in the cities, for want of the power to spread
out over the country. It does not lie in me to believe that millions of
people pack themselves like sardines, worry themselves into dens out of
which they must emerge “walking backward,” so to speak, for want of pace to
turn around, poison themselves with foul, smoke-laden, fever-impregnated
air, condemn themselves to stone and brick above and below and around, if
they just didn’t *have* to.
'''