:: Re: [Bricolabs] Labs etc.
Author: Patrice Riemens
To: Bricolabs
Subject: Re: [Bricolabs] Labs etc.
Gruezi Mittenand!

Again a most interesting mail on this list! Thanks Felipe, and thanks Jean
Noel before!

To begin with Felipe's post: it is fascinating, but also somewhat
disheartening to see how the politics of 'free' (and/or of 'open', but
that's another discussion ;-) are tortuous and apparently never able to
'gel' into some kind of real understanding at the decision-making level.
It is in our parts not very different from in Brazil, though politics in
Brazil is probably more lively.

There is one thing in common: a near desperate desire to make a splash,
and a constant application (usually without understanding) of funky words
and concepts straight out of the PR box. With equally volatile shifts:
e.g. at the moment from 'creativity' (tired!) to 'innovation' (wired!).
And also politicians following the cues from industry/ the economic sphere
- when they are able to pick them up, or think they do - instead of
leading.

Which put people and initiatives that want to achieve some change in the
quandary to have to devote so much energy and resources to try to adjust
to these constant moves, and try to find openings in the
administrative-political sphere, itself staffed by people more looking
upstairs and busy saving their ass than interested in content and its
consequences.

It is in that that the Yogyakarta meet's programme described by Jean-Noel
shows, immo, the way out. Keeping our endeavours firmly local and
community grounded, and working out from there - up to which level I don't
really know. Only that encounter with the big institutions is so
frustrating because their moves and motivations are so instrumental, and
superficial (and also so short-timed as well).

Regarding the upcoming gathering in September 2015, I would like us to see
if it would be possible to make it a extended thing in time, as opposed to
the classic 'summit' model: hundreds of people coming in from afar in
planes (the 'locals', they come by bus), an electric few days, without
sleep if really exciting, and then everyone goes home again. Maybe that it
is impossible to do otherwise, but to me, in view of what we stand for and
want to achieve, it is not satisfying.

My two zillion Zimbucks on a balmy morning.
patrizio & Diiiinooos!