:: Re: [unSYSTEM] Peter Thiel
Author: Cody R Wilson
To: System undo crew
Subject: Re: [unSYSTEM] Peter Thiel
Some villainous words. I think the view of technology as neutral often
comes from the colloquial, merely instrumental understanding of the word.
Techne as the means to a human end. As political technologists we might try
to dig deeper and attach to more philosophical explanations. Heidegger
offers that technology is a form of poetic world revealing. A reality
enframing. Gestell.

So we can understand Palantir technologies as enframing, but a modern one
of instrumental rationality that serves those forces trying to exert
internal and external control over man and nature. Totalitarian
calculability. Anomalies at mass scale. Or: Find the Snowden.

I spent a weekend at a ranch in the American West with these Palantir boys
who all professed civil libertarianism. But their rationalizations are
those you've heard before, nervous and guilty. We all knew the score.