:: Re: [Frei0r] spelling mistake: supr…
Author: IOhannes m zmoelnig
To: frei0r
Subject: Re: [Frei0r] spelling mistake: supress -> suppress
On 2014-05-21 18:25, Janne Liljeblad wrote:
> Yes, please do not correct. Effect is already used in Flowblade
> and will become unavailable for many current users if name is
> changed.
>
> I could fix it in my application, but it will take a lot time
> before changes in both the application and library would be
> available in distributions.
>
> I'm also the one who made the spelling error, but with names like
> "contrast0r" (with a zero) we can agree that Frei0r filter names
> are just handles to functionality.

after a bit more testing, i discovered that my spelling-tests did not
complain at all about the effect name "spillsupress", as this is no
English word anyhow.
the real culprit was the use of the full word "supress" in the
explanation of the "supresstype" parameter.

fixing this makes all "text" (as in: full sentences meant for users to
read and understand) correct English without breaking backwards
compatibility. it also shuts up my spellchecking tests :-)
thus i did apply the fix for the package [1], and do not expect any
problems.

btw, i do think that having the correct spelling in such "text"s
helps, as it shows that the author is not just suffering from dyslexia
but is making a deliberate choice for the "wrong" spelling.

the argument about "contrast0r" and friends is none, as "contrastor"
(which is probably the corrected spelling) is not an English word either.
for me (as a non-native speaker, so i might be biased), it expresses
nicely a "norse" relation, which is probably the intention (alas, i
was not there at piksel, when frei0r was discussed)¹.

fgamsdfr
IOhannes

¹ as a sidenote, it also makes me wonder, why - in a liberal community
as i like to imagine frei0r - the masculinism hidden in that naming
has gone unanswered for over a decade.
please note that i do not want to criticise names like "contrastør", i
like them quite a lot; i am merely wondering why nobody ever came up
with "nervøse"...

[1]
anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-multimedia/frei0r.git;a=blob;f=debian/patches/1-fix-spelling.patch