:: Re: [Frei0r] frei0r debian package
Author: Jaromil
To: Minimalistic plugin API for video effects
Subject: Re: [Frei0r] frei0r debian package

dear IOhannes,

On Tue, 20 May 2014, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:

> (this list has been dead for some time; let's hope it still exists)

many lists on dyne.org are populated by busy people and interaction is
project-centered, so this is a recurring situation not only here. Rest
assured that Dyne.org infrastructure exists since 14 years now and will
keep up for longer (and you'll be noticed of any changes).

> i just realized that frei0r has been orphaned in Debian [1] a few days
> ago, which probably means that frei0r will vanish in no time from Debian
> and derivatives (e.g. ubuntu, mint,...).
>
> additionally, the state of the frei0r package was somewhat dismal (e.g.
> the version packaged was 1.1.22).

yes. I have sent the 3rd solicitation in the last 3 years to all Debian
developers and the previous frei0r maintaner to unlock the sad situation
where frei0r has been stuck so far. This was so due to Luca's loss of
gpg key to update and lack of time by everyone in DEbian to listen to my
requests. Also in Ubuntu there are bugs where I've interacted for years
now and people keep delaying the situation.

I'm sure there is no boykotting intention really, but as of now it feels
quite like it.

> now, as [1] mentioned, the pkg-multimedia team of Debian at one time
> (2012) volunteered to adopt the package, but took no further steps.

yep, see above.

> as it happens, i (then being the one who shouted loudest that
> pkg-multimedia should adopt frei0r, but then did least) am still part
> of that team, and am still willing to get an up-to-date version into
> Debian.

this would be GREAT. really.

also considering the user demand for frei0r nowadays. I've seen videos
where the poor host has to go into the gritty details of ./configure;
make before talking about how great are the color-masking functions in
frei0r.

> given that frei0r-1.3 has been released in march 2011, i wonder whether
> any releases are planned any time soon.

yes, 1.4 was released more recently.

> PS: jaromil, you had been listed as co-maintainer of the Debian frei0r
> package; is this still valid?

yes, but I have no idea what I can do with that. I've tried to upload
the package, but I have no rights without the help of others that aren't
helping. Meanwhile I've learned how to use dput at least with launchpad.

If you like to maintain frei0r in Debian, I'd be very happy of it.
I can easily and quickly provide you an URL where to reach the .tar.gz
releases directly.

thanks

ciao!

--
http://jaromil.dyne.org
GPG: 6113 D89C A825 C5CE DD02 C872 73B3 5DA5 4ACB 7D10