:: Re: [Libbitcoin] License - what abo…
Author: mlmikael
To: Amir Taaki
CC: libbitcoin
Subject: Re: [Libbitcoin] License - what about a truly free license (humble and extremely important enquiry for the project)
Amir,

Do you mean that these qualities you just stated, i.e. that

* people are allowed to use LibBitcoin as if it was a MIT licensed
project (e.g. link to it statically and dynamically, use it in a
proprietary project, and release binaries using it in their
non-GPL/proprietary projects),

* *except* for with regard to the particular files found in the
libbitcoin source repo, for those particular files AGPLv3+ applies i.e.
patches need to be released,

are because of the "OpenSSL exception" in the LICENSE file
https://github.com/libbitcoin/libbitcoin/blob/master/LICENSE

"You have permission to copy, modify, propagate, and distribute a work
formed by combining OpenSSL with libbitcoin, or a work derivative of
such a
combination, even if such copying, modification, propagation, or
distribution would otherwise violate the terms of the AGPL. You must
comply with the AGPL in all respects for all of the code used other than
OpenSSL."

and by "all of the code used other than OpenSSL" you mean libbitcoin's
repo files only, and not the user application's files?

If removing the OpenSSL dependency in a while, will you re-work the
license to give the user the same rights as they have now?

Thanks