:: Re: [unSYSTEM] Satoshi Road
Author: Adam Gibson
To: System undo crew
Subject: Re: [unSYSTEM] Satoshi Road
I would like to add in my 2 satoshis here.

I spent a long time thinking about this reputation issue; here's what I
came up with:

Trust systems, we all agree, are imperfect. Bitcoin replaced trust with
cryptographic proof, but it still needs consensus - the consensus works
well because it builds on verification rather than unreliable identity
reputation.

In an exchange system for fiat or physical goods, we cannot do this, so
I think it's worth "quarantining" trust/reputation. This can be done by
the use of voting pools - thus, arbitrators of disputes do need to have
some trust, but that trust can be "smeared" over a pool to reduce to a
minimum the central point of failure problem.

The great gain in limiting trust to arbitrators (and not users) is that,
combined with multisig, the arbitrators have no funds-stealing
capability in and of themselves. This can be further bolstered by
randomising the arbitrator-buyer-seller link. (These steps are what I
mean by "quarantining" trust).

Meanwhile, trust in users (buyers/sellers) can be removed entirely, as
long as the transfers of value are both (a)irreversible and (b) verifiable.

Consider the two obvious applications: 1 Silk Road 2 fiat-BTC trade.

1 Silk Road - transfer of goods is irreversible, but not verifiable.

2 fiat-BTC transfer of fiat is verifiable (ssl logging) but not fully
irreversible (although it can come VERY close).

Because of these limitations, users will always want some
identity/reputation tagging.
Thinking in this way, you could see that many users can and WILL create
or rely on existing reputation systems, no matter what we do. However
for special cases, they can and would use such systems anonymously, with
no reputation, and be very happy to do so.

These ideas are fleshed out at
https://github.com/AdamISZ/stegabank/blob/master/protocol.md