:: Re: [unSYSTEM] Satoshi Road
Author: Manfred Karrer
To: System undo crew
Subject: Re: [unSYSTEM] Satoshi Road
Interesting project, but I am not sure anymore if reputation is really necessary. Maybe it creates more problems than it solves.

justusranvier:
Quote from: sirius on 25-02-2014, 09:59:29
    Escrow requires trust in the arbitrator.

Does it really have to, or is that just the way people have always done it before?

Quote from: sirius on 25-02-2014, 09:59:29
    Reputation is valuable in basically all human interaction. Airbnb, couchsurfing and Uber are practical examples of the power of reputation systems.

Reputation systems give you a limited and imperfect method of predicting intentionally malicious behavior.

Insurance provides recourse that covers both intentional and unintentional damages. Properly implemented insurance systems offer a strict superset of the functionality provided by reputation systems and also don't require privacy compromises.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=130137.msg5357486#msg5357486

To provide measurable data is one thing, to derive from that data qualitative statements is problematic.
As example see the bitcointalk "reputation" categories like "Hero Member", etc…
It does not mean really much that one is categorized as "Hero Membe". It only means he has posted a lot. So better to display only that naked data and not derive any unprovable statements.

br,
Manfred