:: Re: [Libbitcoin] balance for multip…
Author: Thomas Hartman
To: Amir Taaki
CC: libbitcoin
Subject: Re: [Libbitcoin] balance for multiple addresses
It seems to me that there should be a low level tool with core
functionality well factored, which many higher level tools can access
-- dark wallet, sx (or something commandline-ish like it but more
elaborate), eventually electrum, and others.

Example of low level function:

-- Gather unspent inputs for a single public address
-- Gather all transactions for a public address (whether spent or
unspent). Aka history
-- Generate key(s) given a seed (electrum style or bip32)

Example of high level function

-- Generate a transaction, including change handling and whatever
identity mangling / obfuscation properties are wanted
-- Connect with outside accounting packages

Balance (whether of single address or an account) seems more like a
high level than low level feature. Although in this case it's somewhat
a question of taste.

I'm trying to separate out the layers, sharing thoughts/ideas (as tphyahoo) at

https://github.com/spesmilo/sx/issues?state=open

I favor keeping everything command line (sx style) during the
prototyping stage. When the following is true

-- enough basic building blocks work on the command line
-- many building blocks are also working as c stubs easily accessible
from other systems

we can start building things on top of sx/libbitcoin using higher
level languages like python/chrome extensions like darkwallet, etc
(ideally I'm hoping to do something in smalltalk). But the higher
level tools would share a common core functionality, which will save
everyone time; and also win mindshare for libbitcoin.

I am hoping common reference implementation can share some components
such as key/seed/utxos databases, but I am still thinking that
through.