:: Re: [unSYSTEM] "BitCoin is Broken"?
Author: Daniel Larimer
To: System undo crew
Subject: Re: [unSYSTEM] "BitCoin is Broken"?
My solution to such a problem is to allow miners to replace the 'head block' with a more difficult head and this could even be done without a hard-fork.

Here is how it works. When you receive a new block you check to see if it extends the current head, if so you add it. If not you check to see if it replaces the current head with a more difficult block. In this case you replace it.

A miner who solves a block and fails to broadcast it increases the chance that someone else will solve his same block at a more difficult level (because they have more time). So he starts mining the second block in secret only to discover that an alternative 1st block has been broadcast which is more difficult than his own and so the network starts to build on that block.

Assuming he had less than 50% of the hashing power, then the chances that he could find two blocks before the rest of the network found 1 is very small and he would have a 50% chance of having his first block be higher than the other block found.

There would have to be some rule about not jumping to a 'longer fork' if it is less than 2-3 blocks ahead and the forked chain is based upon a weaker hash.    With this tweak the attacker would have to get 2-3 blocks ahead with their chain before the rest of the network broadcast a single block and the whole time they risk losing all of their blocks.

Dan