:: Re: [unSYSTEM] "BitCoin is Broken"?
Author: Andrew Miller
To: System undo crew
Subject: Re: [unSYSTEM] "BitCoin is Broken"?
I dunno, I think this paper makes tons of sense and is an important
kind of analysis.

The whole point of Bitcoin is to set up an incentive structure where
an individual's self-centered incentives are aligned with the desired
global structure. If incentives weren't important, there'd be no need
for a reward lottery at all, and we could just build everything on top
of Bitmessage. It's a virtue of a system design to tolerate (and
leverage) short-sighted greedy behavior, even if it's not a virtue of
an individual to be short-sighted.

Bitcoin seems to work because it is at least somewhat
incentive-compatible. We have yet to see the development of
"RationalMiner" bitcoin software that deviates from the basic behavior
of bitcoind, but Bitcoin is also barely mainstream yet, so it would be
wise to expect that this sort of thing is coming.

This paper points out a way in which the protocol is not quite
incentive compatible, and suggests a *very* simple change to the
(currently unspecified) miner behavior to mitigate it.

FWIW I also wrote a little while ago about similar sort of thing, but
it's a different idea:
https://gist.github.com/amiller/cf9af3fbc23a629d3084

tl;dr: If there are ways in which selfish/greedy behavior deviates
from honest, then we should identify them, and, if possible, fix them.
As an individual, cooperate; as a protocol designer, anticipate that
everyone else is selfish.