:: Re: [unSYSTEM] The law of the free
Author: Mike Gogulski
To: System undo crew
Subject: Re: [unSYSTEM] The law of the free
I <3 that Diderot quote.

One thing missing from this précis is that all of the words in all of
those paper documents, the ones that are good for human beings and the
bad, are backed up by unlimited, unaccountable, monopolistic deadly force.

Whereas the king or lord might have sent out men with spears and swords
to extort taxes and rents from the peasants, much like the mafiosi with
guns and baseball bats to collect protection money, today the blades and
guns and bats are hidden behind mountains of paper.

Point all this out to people and most will respond by saying something
like, "oh, come on! People don't get *killed* for not paying taxes."
Some of those are blind, and therefore educable. Some of them are
beneficiaries of the system, and therefore unlikely to be educable. The
really terrifying ones, though, are those who are wilfully blind.