:: Re: [unSYSTEM] Fwd: Re: Strange tra…
Author: Robert Williamson
To: System undo crew
Subject: Re: [unSYSTEM] Fwd: Re: Strange transactions
I agree with you about the current fee policy, preventing mass outputs of 1
satoshi might be a good idea, but the damage is already done, blockchain
size is huge due to satoshidice transactions and people storing actual data
encoded into tx outputs.

The problem is we've moved way past the point where practically every node
is also mining and attempting to gain the transaction fees, a node might
have an expense when it transmits a large 10kb transaction to multiple
peers, but it will never have a chance to gain the reward from whatever
transaction fees might be in the tx.

You might be able to calculate a value based on the system resources used
when validating and broadcasting the transaction, but now ASICs always win
the fees, while we keep the dsha256 proof-of-work (I'm not in favour of
changing it).

Any per-node fee will have great discrepancies and will lead to some nodes
accepting and rejecting, potentially creating a vector for race-type
attacks when accepting 0-confirmation transactions.

I guess you're right about leaving it, since there is no well written
documentation for which types of transactions are standard or not. Most
nodes are running bitcoind and it's up to those to filter and decide on
what is standard or not.

Thanks
Bob