:: Re: [unSYSTEM] Fwd: Re: Strange tra…
Author: Robert Williamson
To: System undo crew
Subject: Re: [unSYSTEM] Fwd: Re: Strange transactions
I'm not talking about workarounds specifically for nVersion, but for all
the other stuff that is seen as non-standard by bitcoind, such as dust
transactions, disabled op codes and other stuff, otherwise someone could
send one transaction to a libbitcoin node which is accepted and other to
the rest of the network which eventually gets confirmed, meaning the
original to libbitcoin becomes invalid. (Proper precautions for race
attacks should prevent against this though).

The pull request here.

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/2982/files

seems a bit of a big workaround when the main problem is that the value is
being deserialized as a signed integer, rather than a uint32_t.

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/481d89979457d69da07edd99fba451fd42a47f5c/src/core.h#L184

Maybe I'm missing something and they're not able to change the CTransaction
nVersion though.

I couldn't find any other documentation about the data type for nVersion
other than here
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Protocol_specification#tx

Thanks
Bob