:: Re: [unSYSTEM] Coinbase Class 2 Acc…
Inizio della pagina
Autore: Peter Todd
To: System undo crew
Oggetto: Re: [unSYSTEM] Coinbase Class 2 Accounts
On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 04:07:53PM +0900, JINDQ1 wrote:
> Since we're on this topic already, I have recently been banned for pointing out the bitcointalk.org admin's hypocritical double standards when dealing with scammers and fraud. The boy's club attitude that we should trust an admin who accepted 6000 BTC in order to upgrade a forum that hasn't been upgraded in over 12 months, and the only addition made was a system that works *against* honest people by allowing extortion, black mail and endless libel, is a bit much for me to swallow.
>
> I've decided to start a project (despite not having a background in that particular field) for a trust-based forum that has no moderators other than topic starters. Similar to how Ripple will only let you borrow money from people who agreed to trust you for it, you would only see things people trusted you to see, and that you trusted them to show you. This way no banning, ignoring, etc is necessary, as you decide what information you want to support and what you don't, without needing to make it political and dramatic. There would be no "scammers" or "heroes", just information exchange and there would be equally aggressive and opposing views co-existing, only sharing information that both sides equally appreciate sharing.
>
> The project's codename was "Project No-Noise" and the original thread was here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=239458.0 and a more detailed feature outline here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ajtx05YrHtIydGlfTDRzdE5tYldEWDNUZFh5WDk3ZGc&usp=sharing
>
> I'd be very interested in people's opinions of it as I am already aware of the complexities ahead of me (especially since I myself am not a C++ coder but am demanding that it be created in C++ for logical reasons).

What you should be doing is taking advantage of how with Bitcoin you can
make spam expensive. Take IRC for example: basically IRC could be a
simple P2P flood-fill network where every IRC client floods every
message to every other client for a given channel. But that doesn't work
because of spammers and other abuse, so instead we have central IRC
servers.

What we could do instead is sign IRC messages with keypairs, and then
use Bitcoin sacrifices to make those keypairs expensive to obtain.
Secondly have a system where who you /ignore is public knowledge. Now
it's easy to make politically neutral decisions to ignore a message
because some large amount of BTC did so as well. Similarly it's easy to
trust moderators for a given channel if you think their actions are
worthwhile, and it's also possible for different groups to disagree on
what moderators are worth listening too.

USENET news can be done in the same way. Voting sites like reddit are a
bit trickier because each vote results in a decent amount of data -
popular posts can result in thousands. But these issues can be solved as
they are found.

Of course, nothing stops someone willing to burn enough Bitcoins from
screwing with the system, but it's the best we can do in a decentralized
system.

FWIW Jeff Garzik is working on a identities protocol that could make for
a useful building block of such systems.

--
'peter'[:-1]@petertodd.org