:: Re: [unSYSTEM] i did something radi…
Author: jamileh s.t.
To: System undo crew
Subject: Re: [unSYSTEM] i did something radical
people prefer more immediate payoff, websites like facebook are some kind
of way to minimize peoples payoff time. "i'll post this, so all of my
friends know i said this really creative thing, instead of just telling one
person", "i can chat to 5 people at once in half the time, that way i am
guaranteed to build my friendships at a quicker rate". it's kind of a snack
culture thing, and immediately it seems to have a better payoff, but its
not very nourishing long term. there's also that the interconnectedness of
nodes is much higher, and there is less latency, things don't have to
travel by word of mouth.

i don't enjoy this approach, but i still do enjoy things like irc, a big
building where you can go into a particular room if today you want to ask
about bugs, or tomorrow want to learn about maths and its harder to do
something like this irl - so sometimes i appreciate immediacy, like when i
can just google something or check wiki.

i am amazed at how people add all these extra systems to their life, IM,
mobiles, facebook, instagram, twitter... and manage to maintain them all!
my plant just goes straight into meltdown when i try to do more than one of
these at once.

I try to have a design philosophy for life:
,---> Flat is better than nested,

\----- Networked is better than nothing.