:: Re: [Bricolabs] texts: IOT et al...
Top Pagina
Auteur: august
Aan: Bricolabs
Onderwerp: Re: [Bricolabs] texts: IOT et al...

> August -- I definitely had Shannon, but hadn't added it to that library
> yet... I'll cover coding, to be sure, from linguistic, technical,
> control, and social points-of-view, though we don't have the time to go
> into it (it's a seminar versus studio course -- I'd like it better to be
> doing things as well as talking about things!) (I'm intrigued about your
> statement that the (function?) of coding-as-information is
> counter-intuitive/directly at odds with a normative definition of
> information -- can you expand on that?)

Basically, the layman definition of information tends to define it as
the communicable signal that rises above the noise (randomness) and
carries meaning.

According to Shannon's narrow definition, information is a _measure_ of
entropy. In other words, information is not the signal in a noisy
channel, but a measure of the signal's content. It's a quantity not a
thing. The more information in a signal means more randomness (noise)
in a signal. A signal with lots of redundancy has little information.

Shannon is also careful to unhinge "meaning" from his concept of
"information".

It's more complicated, subtle, and interesting than what I describe
above, but that's the gist. Most of our communication technologies
depend on these ideas.

The stuff on coding theorem and stochastic signals is what I find most
interesting. What makes a large part of his information theory work is
that most "human" signals (music, writing, etc.) are stochastic;
non-deterministic but statistically predictable.

One interesting thing regarding stochastic signals is that you can
remove parts of them and still send enough communication for it to be
"understood". Eg: I cn wrt t y wtht vwls nd y shld b ble t ndrstnd

zzzzt.

best -august.

--
http://aug.ment.org
GPG: 0A8D 2BC7 243D 57D0 469D 9736 C557 458F 003E 6952