:: Re: [Bricolabs] texts: IOT et al...
Top Pagina
Auteur: Patrick Humphreys
Aan: Bricolabs
Onderwerp: Re: [Bricolabs] texts: IOT et al...
Hi Jon and Matt

Contiuinng Matt's vein, there a two excellent books by Sherry Turkle on
this;
"Alone together why we expect more from technology and less from each
other" (2011) and
"The second self: computers and the human spirit" (most recent paperback
edition:2005)

Good luck with the course. Some critical reflection on the positivist,
bureaucratic and mechanistic assumptions inherit in most IT courses is
really neededŠ

Patrick

On 14/08/2012 21:47, "Matthew Ratto" <matt.ratto@???> wrote:

>Hi John,
>
>you might consider including Katherine Hayles "How we Became
>Posthuman" for its great overview of the Macy debates and how
>information 'lost its body.' Also provides a bit of an inroads into
>Donald MacKay's theory of information.
>

>On 14-Aug-12, at 10:28 AM, august wrote:
>

>> John,
>>
>> Good luck with the course! Looks like a great reading list and should
>> be interesting and fun.
>>
>> I'm surprised that with your engineering background you didn't include
>> "A Mathematical Theory of Communication" by Shannon. ..Or anything on
>> general information theory by Shannon and Weaver.
>>
>> Seems like any course on "information" should proly at least
>> superficially cover the basic mathematical concepts and definitions
>> (such as source coding and stochastic signals) ...which are
>> counter-intuitive and almost at direct odds with the lay-man's
>> definition of information.
>>
>> -august.
>>

>>> Say bricos -- I want to put a call out for texts that any of you
>>> might
>>> consider indispensable for a course falling under the title
>>> "Meaning of
>>> Information Technology" -- I was asked to teach this, and although
>>> there
>>> is a general framework/syllabus from previous teachers, I figured I
>>> would query this august grouping of folks first to see what they
>>> might
>>> suggest. I've started a Zotero sub-library
>>> https://www.zotero.org/jhopkins/items/collectionKey/2IJFXETW (just