:: Re: [Bricolabs] request for an atte…
Kezdőlap
Szerző: Vincenzo Tozzi
Dátum:
Címzett: Bricolabs
CC: Tel Amiel, Claudia M. Wanderley
Tárgy: Re: [Bricolabs] request for an attempt to map and archive Sufi Pakistan,
Alo!

Il 13/08/2012 13:52, Ian ha scritto:
> I read the article and installed the system locally using Python 2.7
> (without the LDAP part) and it looks interesting. I have some
> questions though:
>
> 1. Why did you not use Dropbox?. I run it headless on cloud servers
> and it syncs fine with different remote clients and is simple to set
> up

well.. The ideia it's to start building an autonomous asynchronous
infrastructure. Joey (git-annex developer) is working on a daemon very
similar to dropbox and also more powerfull couse you can get more
control on synchronization.

> 2. I assume the answer to 1 is somewhat related to security? I like
> your choice of git-annex and its ability to SHA512 media files

More autonomy and flexibility.. Git and git-annex works also offline..
You can sync contents with an external Hard disk for example in
situation where there is no internet at all.

> 3. Related to 2 would be TOR integration into a client
> 4. Why not release this client (as an android/desktop etc app) and lez
> everyone sync up?

git-annex? http://git-annex.branchable.com/design/assistant/android/

The architecture we're working is based on community practice and
reality.. Communities already have common places to meet, share time,
ideas and resolve common problem. A local server it's, someway, a
representation of this common places in digital world. It's digital land..

> 5. The tagging idea is nice too and could be extended

Let's work on it! :)

> 6. Integration with Omeka I am not sure. Omeka has a nice plugin
> architecture so maybe there is some way to interface with that?

I installed Omeka.. Something important should be reading and writing to
media file's dublin core and it seems It's not working with this.

I'm not a experienced developer.. but I suppose django with python
should be a good starting point. There is some friend working on media
archive in Italy and maybe we can link with their work (php/shell
based): http://www.arkiwi.org/

They "simply" publish media content creating all kind of facilities
(embedding code, player, qr-code, torrent etc) based on dublin core.

> It would be interesting on working on some of these things - maybe
> even using it for Bricolabs if something good comes out from it

Sure.. We can work on shareable and synchronizable media repository
where people/server can subscribe, for example to the bricolabs
repository and get fresh medias and (if they have permission) publish
new ones.

2012 -- End of internet..

Abraço,
Vince