:: Re: [Bricolabs] Open Space Aarhus o…
Author: Carsten Agger
To: Bricolabs
Subject: Re: [Bricolabs] Open Space Aarhus opens its doors
Hi John,

>>> The hackerspace is basically 277 m² in a basement in an old industrial
>> building, equipped with recycled computers, whiteboard and a lot of
>> electronics stuff. Everything is very DYI. It is funded (i.e., rent is
>> paid) entirely through membership payments from our 65 paying members. A
>> few sponsor contributions have been spent on nice equipment, but they
>> don't
>> sustain us.
>
> Does any of this include alumni from the old spLab at the academy there
> (that
> Björn Ross was facilitating a decade ago?) Just curious!

No, splab is more of an art project, whereas OSAA is far more technically
oriented. People do stuff which could be seen as art, but more with regard
to technology - e.g., building a computer controlled laser cutter from
scratch, wood-cutting CNC-machines, building 3D printers, controlling LED
signs with custom-made controllers, as well as a lot of software
development projects ...

As with many hacker spaces, I'd say there's an overweight of people with
computer science and engineering backgrounds. We'd like to attract
technology-oriented art groups, though.