:: Re: [Bricolabs] carrot workers guid…
Author: James Wallbank
Subject: Re: [Bricolabs] carrot workers guide
Hi Vicky,

It's interesting to see how roles that are higher and higher up the
value chain are seen as suitable for free working. The priorities of
mainstream society seem to valorise:

* Public sector managers - particularly those concerned with quality
assurance and risk management.
* Financial speculators.
* Accountants.
* Chief Executives of major multi-national companies.

None of these people add value in real terms. They don't even MEDIATE
value, as do, say, people as apparently useless as marketing executives.

Meanwhile, here in Sheffield, for two years we have been developing a
"ReFab Space" - a community based FabLab which concentrates on repair,
reuse, reinvention and reimagination. Its agenda relates strongly to
green innovation, sustainability, high-tech manufacture, engineering and
employability. What could be more attractive to funders???

How much funding have we received to set up this new centre so far? £2000.

In our city high tech skills have been labeled as a NUMBER ONE PRIORITY.
This is because there's a high level of unemployment, while engineering
employers simply cannot find people skilled enough to do the advanced
jobs they are generating. The solution - of course - train people in
high tech skills. Simple!

And in response to this priority our City Council have cut their Adult
Learning team from 15 people to... two. And funded our FabLab by £2000 -
and that's a priority.

So I have been thinking hard about developing a new centre motto - "Will
Innovate for Food". Even the allegedly most important engagements with
new technologies, new economic models and new ways of working are
trumped by the dead hand of accounting and risk management. Chinese
economists are laughing at us.

Our mistake, of course, is in having ambition to do anything of actual
value at all! Is the key to making money in our late capitalist
condition is to add no value whatever?

Perhaps our final gambit should be to write a book about "The Failure
Industry" - how Sheffield never misses an opportunity to miss an
opportunity. But can we export? Of course! Everyone wants to hear how
other people have screwed up - so they can do the same thing themselves!

Best Regards,

James
=====