:: [dyne:bolic] [Fwd] [Bricolabs] BIOS
Página Principal
Autor: jaromil
Para: puredyne
CC: dynebolic
Assunto: [dyne:bolic] [Fwd] [Bricolabs] BIOS

FYI, i guess Alejo intended to let you know too :)

- ----- Forwarded message from alejo <alejo@???> -----

Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 09:12:04 -0500
From: alejo <alejo@???>
Subject: [Bricolabs] BIOS

ei all, just a short report on something we (un/loquer) just
"finished" here in medellin. we got like 40 old computers that were
stock by the local Museum (MAMM), AMD/Athlon 256ram - 1,6ghz
processors. With a customized puredyne in hand we got rid of their
Windows XP systems and had them running Software Libre in just one day
(intense install fest). Once ready we followed onto introducing via
informal workshops applications like toonloop and sooperlooper to a
varied group of stundents, all ages, that came every day for a week to
visit us in "our" temporary lab within the "sacred" space of the
Museo, a bold step done by the director and her team.

we built some networked circle of 20 computers or something that serve
for the workshops but also as an open infrastructure for playing with
sound (from puredata to basic one liners using cat and pipe lines)
anyone that came to visit was welcome to add samples and play them
through the 40 speakers arranged. At the other side of the hall we had
a video wall (video yubarta), 9 screens presenting one video or
running a spectrum analysis tool to help us visualize the sounds of
our voices or the birds from the valley. It took 2 weeks to have this
wall running (gstreamer based system) but the result was really
encouraging since this machines lack fast network cards, not to
mention there's no proper video card on them. In the times of the
"urban screens" and hi-tech vizualisations it was a pleasure to feed
the machine with one Harun Farocki's video that, highly compressed,
served well the case of study. War at the Distance.

it was really great to relate to few of the many projects i've had the
chance to follow during the last decade in "my safe european home",
many of those trace lines that i see extend -in good balance- within
local socioeconomical restrains, to say the least i could see Exyzt,
re-lab / rixc, hackerspaces, puredyne, toonloop, hackitectura,
bricolabs.. all here resonating.

here 2 short clips:
http://tinyurl.com/yj3w97u
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PQnqlGz-Io

(more documentation to follow)

looking fwd to the brazilian connection to happen!

- ----- End forwarded message -----