:: Re: [dyne:bolic] must one nest with…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Guy
Aan: dynebolic mailinglist
Onderwerp: Re: [dyne:bolic] must one nest with a dock
jaromil wrote:

>re all,
>
>On Sat, Sep 06, 2008 at 01:01:51PM +0200, Lukasz Jastrzebski wrote:
>

>>Hi again! There is no easy and automated way to keep your settings
>>or data in home folder (only nesting). You can make custom manual
>>backup while ending and refresh it at start by hand. Or create and
>>burn new CD with your settings "in it", but this is not the everyday
>>way for mortal humans.
>>

>hey hey, luckily enough developer are not immortal eh! :)
>
>as far as i understood Guy's question, the answer is: yes also when
>you docked you still need a nest to keep your settings & home
>directory.
>
>to be more precise, the nest holds:
>/etc <- system wide settings and configurations
>/home/luther
>/root <- default users home
>/usr/local <- user's installed software from source
>

>ciao!
>

>- --
> Jaromil, dyne.org developer, http://jaromil.dyne.org

Thanks - I thought as much but was hopeful ;0) In the meantime I get
around the size limitation of the nest by placing a link to a folder on
the hard drive in the nest.

I will have a go at revising that wiki page when I have time - it is
talking about win 98 & a nest up to the size of the whole hard drive
(wow! that big) so it must be old.

I also didn't realise the nest kept /usr/local - that is helpful, I will
have to remember to compile stuff prefix=/usr/local

best wishes

Guy