:: Re: [dyne:bolic] Error 15 on usb in…
Author: stomfisite
Subject: Re: [dyne:bolic] Error 15 on usb installation
jaromil wrote:

> hi Brian,
>
> On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 04:38:33PM +0100, Brian wrote:
>> I have installed Dyne on a 4gig usb pen drive. When I boot from the pen
>> drive I get the following error message
>>
>> root (hd1,0)
>> file system type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
>> kernal /dyne/2618ck1d.krn root=/dev/ram0 load_ramdisk=y max_loop=64 vga=791
> ^^^^^^^^
>
> is that really written kernAl ?
>
>> Error 15
>
> that doesn't says much, it must be a grub related error..

It is a stage 1.5 error. Error 15 : "Error while parsing number"

Stage 2 errors will give the error number and the string. Although
if it gets this far the error 15 often reads "File not found"
According to the docs you should be able to CTRL-ALT-DEL reboot, but
I get a system hang.
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html

Any what all this means is that Grub probably can't find a (boot)
file, for one reason or another.

reason 1
I get this error if I forget to delete an NTFS drive and wipe it or
partition and format it as ext3 before cloning. For some reason I
get dma read errors on older drives if I don't do that step and so
grub cannot find the boot files because the read process is timing out.

reason 2
This next solution might have some bearing on your problem if you
think your root numbers are correct.
http://www.statusq.org/archives/2007/01/07/1267/

and of course playing around with the numbers in Jaromil's advice.
(Don't cryptic error messages and terse documentation make life
difficult. Not quite as bad as the old minicomputer "Fatal Error"
though.)

reason 3